Oklahoma Youth Expo: Skillathon Contest
OVERVIEW: The Oklahoma Youth Expo will host an event open to all 4-H and FFA members of Oklahoma: the OYE Skillathon. The Oklahoma Dept. of Agriculture will create and administer the test. Students will be competing for $10,000 in scholarship money, which will be divided amongst the top five individuals in three age categories: junior, intermediate and senior.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the division/age breaks?
- Age brackets will mirror the OYE showmanship age brackets. 4-H and FFA members do not have to exhibit at the OYE to be eligible for the Skillathon.
- How will the test be administered?
- The OYE Skillathon will be a written exam based on cumulative knowledge over the four livestock species shown at OYE: beef, swine, sheep and goats.
- What do I need to do to qualify?
- In order to qualify to take the test, ALL students must have completed certification in YCQA. Information for certifying in YCQA can be found here: https://yqcaprogram.org/
- This certification should adequately prepare youth for the exams. Certification AND registration must be complete by March 6 in order to participate—no exceptions.
- When and where will the test be held?
- On Monday, March 13 from 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. a test will be administered for each age division. The written tests will be administered in the Barn 3 Sales Pavilion. Students may come take their test anytime during that time slot, however all tests will be picked up at 5:00 pm, regardless if the student is finished taking the test. We recommend allocating at least 45 minutes to take the test.
- What happens after you take the test?
- At 6:00 p.m., the top ten test scores for each division will be posted and a finals identification practicum will be begin at 7:00 p.m in the Barn 3 Sales Pavilion. The results will be posted that night at the show office and on the doors of the Barn 3 Sales Pavilion – typically around 9:00 p.m.
- What happens next if I am named top 5?
- Scholarships will be presented prior to the OYE Grand Drive on Thursday, March 18 in State Fair Arena. Winners must be wearing official dress for the presentation.
RULES: Once a 4-H or FFA member wins a division, they are not eligible to win that division again. Students do NOT have to show at OYE in order to participate. OYE reserves the right to disqualify any students; cheating will not be tolerated and students could be asked to leave the testing room. All decisions are final and no protests will be accepted. All tests are property of OYE and will not be taken from the testing site. No parents, agricultural instructors, or electronic devices including smart watches will be accepted or tolerated in the testing room.